What We Do
genARTS provides a supportive, nurturing, and collaborative environment for emerging creative leaders and builds a leadership pipeline for the future sustainability of small- and mid-sized arts organizations in the region.
Who We Serve
genARTS Silicon Valley empowers creative individuals and emerging arts leaders through advocacy training, career development, and unique networking opportunities.
Why It’s Important
As established creative sector leaders retire and the arts nonprofit model is challenged by the forces of digital culture, demographic shifts, and the changing nature of “creative consumption,” it is important to leverage local talent, prepare the sector for the next generation of audiences, navigate new economic realities, and bridge the past with the future.
What’s Been Done
- Produced annual Creative Conversations that brought community leaders together to discuss issues of importance to the sector
- Hosted annual Movers & Shakers events that acknowledged and celebrated emerging arts leaders
- Provided professional development and financial support for individuals attending national conferences
- Facilitated Advocacy 101 Part I and II, a training workshop series on arts advocacy that prepared arts leaders for the previous election year
- Awarded Emerging Artist Grants for designing projects that address local challenges
- Co-created Grants 101: Understanding the Grants Process. Participants in this session learned the essential basics of writing effective grant proposals
- Presented Getting St(ART)ed, a workshop teaching the basics for successful creative entrepreneurship to help participants pursue their artistic career
- Exhibited RPM: Revolutions per Minute, genARTS’ inaugural experimental exhibition and event series inviting 33 emerging local artists to participate in a month-long art show at Camino Brewing Company.
- Creative Conversation: Bridging the Arts and Community at San José Woman’s Club, March 30, 2022
- Professional development workshops: creative writing, self-marketing, art and services pricing for new artists; and an NFT series in May and June 2022 at the San Jose Woman’s Club
- Experimental Exhibition 2022 featuring artists selected from genARTS’ new grant program set to release in May 2022
- Scholarships to the AFTA conference in Washington DC (May 18–20, 2022) and NAMP conference (location and date TBD)
- Creative Conversation in October 2022 (Location and date TBD)
- Member discounts and special access to local institutions and events >> Become a genARTS member
Photo Credit: Alex Knowbody