Application and Program Guidelines
This grant program is made possible through a partnership with the City of Gilroy, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, and the County of Santa Clara. In alignment with the mission of SVCREATES, these grants aim to elevate artists and the arts community in Gilroy by demonstrating the role arts can play in equitable community empowerment, activation and revitalization.
Objectives for Gilroy Elevate the Arts Grants
- Support the creation and presentation of culturally relevant artistic work
- Raise the visibility and voice of local artists
- Engage the community and activate public spaces through the arts
- Catalyze capacity and resilience in our historically under-resourced arts ecosystem
- Rally public support of the arts as a fundamental part of Gilroy’s economic & urban development
Artists and arts organizations based in the greater Gilroy area are invited to apply for projects and/or programs to be delivered in Gilroy between July 15, 2023 and July 31, 2024.
Grants will be competitive and limited by the available funding. Partial funding may be awarded. Grant request range will be $5,000 - $20,000. Approximately 5 to 8 grants will be awarded.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Eligible applicants can be individual artists, nonprofit arts organizations, or creative small businesses or LLCs (note that individual artists, LLCs, or for-profit businesses without a fiscal sponsor will be responsible for any tax obligation required when receiving grants).
- Eligible artists and organizations will be based in the greater Gilroy area (including San Martin, Morgan Hill, Hollister, San Juan Bautista).
- Eligible applicants will include a lead artist or organization with a minimum of three years of experience with arts projects or programming in the Gilroy area OR a minimum of three previous specific art pieces or projects or work samples to show; these may include murals, festivals, programs for youth, performances, or organized exhibits, etc.
- Eligible projects will serve Gilroy residents and take place in central Gilroy.
- Eligible projects will engage local artists.
- Eligible lead applicants must be 21 years old or older; younger artists of all ages are welcome to participate and be on project teams.
How to Apply
There is a two-step process to apply for this grant. SVCREATES staff will provide one-on-one support to applicants throughout the process. To start the application process, contact either of the following SVCREATES staff:
- Valeria Miranda, Engagement Manager, Valeria@svcreates.org
- Alexandra Urbanowski, Associate Director, firstname.lastname@example.org; 408-998-2787 ext. 214
Application Requirements will include:
- Description of the Project, including location, type of art, and intended audience
- Biographies of Project Leadership
- List of Project Team Members
- Examples of Previous Artistic Project Experience
- Proposed Project Timeline & Budget
Final Applications will be reviewed and evaluated by a panel of local artists and leaders and a limited number of projects will be selected by that panel to receive funding. Applicants will be invited to speak at the review panel meeting.
In reviewing applications, the review panel will consider the following factors:
- Projects will be arts experiences (eg. performances, exhibitions, programs, festivals, murals) that are accessible to the public and activate public space.
- Projects will be culturally relevant to Gilroy, ie reflecting the history, geography, culture, diversity, current issues, or unique local traits.
- Projects will have the potential to attract public attention, engage audiences, and raise the visibility of the value of the arts in Gilroy.
- Applicant artists or arts organizations will demonstrate the capacity to successfully manage and complete the project.
- Competitive applications will be from artists or arts organizations who demonstrate a commitment to artistic craft, artistic development, and to fair compensation to artists.
- Priority will be given to projects which provide opportunities for artists from historically under-resourced communities (eg BIPOC, other-abled, LGBTQ+) and /or opportunities for youth engagement.
Grantee Requirements/Other Grant Benefits
All grant recipients will be expected to participate in a minimum of two meetings as a group, for the purposes of building connections and providing mutual support for the benefit of all projects.
Project Marketing and PR
All awarded projects will receive support with marketing and public relations to elevate the profile of these projects for the benefit of Gilroy.
Each recipient will be expected to submit a short written report at the conclusion of their project summarizing the results and confirming how the grant funding was expended.
- Application opens: April 7, 2023
- Application deadline: June 9, 2023 at 5pm
- Grant Panel Review: June 27, 2023
- Award Notification: early July
- Project time period: July 15, 2023 - July 31, 2024
Staff Contacts & Application Support
408-998-2787 ext. 214
In-person application support is available by appointment during Saturday office hours, held at The Neon Exchange between 2pm-4pm weekly. Email Valeria@svcreates.org to schedule an appointment.
Grant Guidelines & Application
- Guidelines in English and Spanish
- Application in English and Spanish
Hard copies of the grant guidelines and application are available for pick up at The Neon Exchange M-F 9am-4pm.
- Application Opens: April 7, 2023
- Open House & Grant Clinic: April 29 from 12pm-4pm at Neon Exchange in Gilroy.
- Application Deadline: June 9, 2023 at 5pm
- Grant Review Panel Meets: June 27, 2023:
Selected applicants will be invited to address questions from the panel on June 27th at the Neon Exchange.
- Grant Period: July 15, 2023 – July 31, 2024